Hunting the Hummingbird - by David C Hoffman

Support independent publishing: Buy this e-book on Lulu.

Friday, April 22, 2016

Sand, surf and sun...


One day last week, the twins and I decided to take advantage of the glorious weather and the fact that we can walk to the beach.

We loaded up some snacks, water, beach toys and sunscreen, and headed out for the less than ten minute trek to the ocean.

I had been feeling like we'd been spending a lot of time working on school stuff (we took the week off while Papa and Gaga were here, so we were "catching up" in the days after) and just needed to enjoy the freedom that homeschooling allows, while recognizing that some of the greatest minds ever concluded that "play is the highest form of research" , and that perhaps this was a day at school after all =)

We stopped to play on the play equipment for a few minutes...



I attempted a selfie of the three of us with my phone...
...and learned my selfie game is not strong.


This was one of those days when I kept offering up Thanks that we were blessed with twins. It was rarely not often easy to have two infants and two toddlers, but it's SO great having two little kids the exact same age. Most of the time, they play together so well, and I'm so grateful they have a buddy and a playmate built in.



I adore this sweet girl of mine!

And this amazing boy, too!


Sister tried to dig a pool...
...and quickly deemed it impossible =).


These two kids dug in the sand...


...and played in the surf...


...and found shells...


...and ran in the surf...


...and played in the surf...


...and waded out in the water...


(this boy would live in the water if we'd let him!)


...and built up their inevitable collection of "treasures"...


...and found ladybugs...


...and became braver and braver with how far out they were willing to wade...


...and LOVED being wet and sandy...=)



After about three hours of ocean play, they decided they were ready to be dry, so we switched them out to dry clothes and hung out in the sand watching the newly arrived jetskiers show off for us...


After we'd purchased ice cream cones, naturally...


Once we hit the four hour mark, I knew we'd probably had enough direct sun vitamin D for the day, so I declared it time to pack up and head home.
Would you believe they claimed they weren't ready to go yet?!?!
And I actually loved that =) (don't tell them that though)
I love that they just got to spend the entire morning playing, exploring and being kids...and yet wanted more of it.
I'm a big believer in just letting little kids be little, and I feel like especially this day in age where there is so much access to screentime, we have to be intentional about literally unplugging our children and making sure they know how to just play.
(but I say that from no GrandStand...the TV is on plenty in this house!)


So while I maintained it was time to leave, I agreed to stopping at the playground for a bit on the way out...



I love Spring time here!

1 comment: