Hunting the Hummingbird - by David C Hoffman

Support independent publishing: Buy this e-book on Lulu.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Lately...



We've had a few bugs around here, requiring extra naps...




...and down time...

Poor Brother is currently on antibiotics for his second ear infection in eight months.
He'd never had one in the 5.5 years before we moved here. 
This recent article - although definitely wide/vague in terms of factoring future environmental improvements and their impact on the rating - confirmed what I've laughed at all along..."the weather", ie, the air, pretty much sucks here. 


Luckily, we've all bounced back alright, and these two are up to their usual shenanigans...



...and being cute...



...and crazy...




....and crafty...



...and playing with the neighbors...



The kids and I met a school friend at a park the other weekend...





This park had some of those crazy steep bouncy slides that scare the crap outta me the kids love...




We also tried out a new Five Guys in our area. Would you believe we'd never eaten at one before, even in Portland?
It was tasty, and I laughed out loud when we were leaving and Sister says in a very serious voice, "Momma, I counted. There were SIX guys in there."

My little legalist =).



We headed out to eat the other weekend at a local park area...can you spot the two cuties on top of that bridge?? Dave and I love it because the kids can explore the area, while still being in sight, while we wait for the food and enjoy uninterrupted conversation =)







After we ate, we walked around a bit and let the kids play at the playground. 
Sister took this picture of us =)









We went and saw Lego Batman


...which ended up being pretty funny...


I got out for another ladies night to celebrate Bahrain Tina's belated birthday, and Galentine's Day with Tina and some of her lovely friends...

...an evening of good food, and great conversation.


David was in Cambodia for about a week for a work conference, so I told the kids they could each invite one friend over after school the first day he was gone.
Sister and her buddy did some painting...

...and Brother and his buddy were a constant stream of outfit changes...



...and different battles....


A funny note about this playdate; Sister's friend had her nanny accompany her along for the playdate. I don't know if this was because her friend is very shy, or because the mother sent her over with play clothes (we'd brought her home from school with us, so she still had her uniform on), or if it was just a way to keep an eye on her at a new friends house.
It didn't bother me at all, it was just a new scenario for me. 
I introduced myself, and asked her if she wanted some coffee, she accepted, and I made us each a cup and then brought them out to the kitchen table so we could drink them and chat. 
After a few minutes of conversation, I went into my bedroom to change out of my work clothes and into my mom clothes (ie, yoga pants and a Target vneck), and when I came back out, she wasn't at the table. I figured she was checking on the girls in Sister's bedroom, or perhaps in the restroom.
A few minutes later, she still hadn't reappeared, so I went looking for her...and found her in my kitchen, washing my dishes. 
I was like, um what are you doing?!?
"I help clean, madam" she replied.
Um, no.
"You don't have to do MY dishes!" 
"It's fine madam, I don't mind..."
"Well, I do. Please, that is our mess. Not yours, and not of the family you nanny for either. Please just come relax"

She hesitated, but then followed me back to the living room and sat back down at the table.
We ended up having a really nice chat, and I learned a lot about her life and situation here. 
She is from the Philippines, and has four children living back there, with her husband. She is here on a two year contract to nanny/maid for this family. She spoke of her work lovingly and said they treat her very well, and she is grateful for the good work, so she can send the  money home to her husband and kids.

Definitely never had a playdate like that in Portland.


And lastly, while Dave was gone, the kids and I also did a little shopping...


...and met some friends at Trampo to play...




...and have some lunch with Spiderman...


And now David is back home (hooray!) and this past weekend we celebrated National Day and Liberation Day...pics to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment